Reciprocal Health Care Agreement Ireland

If you do not have a habitual residence and are not entitled to health care in any of the circumstances described above, the HSE may devote the full economic costs to all services provided. In case of difficulties, the HSE can offer reduced or free urgent treatments. People who come to Ireland for a long period of time to live, work or study in Ireland or to retire to Ireland are probably considered to be living here (habitual residence is the legal concept) and are subject to the rules outlined under the right to health care. Your right to health care is primarily based on residency and resources and not on your payment of taxes or related social insurance (PRSI). However, some exceptions are described below. If you exchange the words “UK” or “Australian” for “New Zealand” and “New Zealand” for “UK” or “Australian” in the summaries above, you will see what the agreements say about the rights of New Zealand citizens and holders of class of stay visas in these countries. New Zealand has mutual health agreements with Australia and the United Kingdom. Under any agreement, certain services to persons covered by the agreements may receive public funding. These services may be financed to the same extent as for a national of the country to which he or she is travelling or where he or she is temporarily staying.

Copies of the mutual health agreements, as they have been adopted in New Zealand legislation, are linked below: if you are temporarily visiting Ireland, you can apply for a European Health Insurance Card covering medical care in the event of illness or accident. You must bring your European Health Insurance Card if you are travelling to Ireland. Other Irish visitors are not entitled to free or subsidised public health services, except in cases of difficulty. As a general rule, if they are to receive health services, they must pay the full economic cost of these services. If you are not in this situation and have lived and worked in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland, your right to healthcare will be determined upon your return in accordance with the rules applicable to EU citizens. In addition, UK citizens who live, work or visit Ireland have the same right of access to healthcare as citizens residing in Ireland under the common travel area. Asylum seekers receive medical cards for the period during which their application for service as a refugee is examined. If you are granted refugee status, you are considered to be habitually resident and subject to the usual rules on the right to health care. There are a number of services that are not publicly funded and that differ from country to country. Since none of the mutual agreements offer comprehensive coverage, travelers should purchase comprehensive travel insurance, including health insurance. Similarly, Irish visitors to Australia receive emergency services and assistance with the cost of prescription drugs and medications on the same basis as people who have their habitual residence in Australia.

. . .